The Club was founded on 29th April 1889 when it was originally known as
Netteswell & Burnt Mill Athletic, “ for the purpose of providing
suitable recreation for the young men of the neighbourhood.”
The first Chairman was J.F. Coleman and Secretary H.H. Southgate.
Mr Cracknell was the first grounds man employed at a fee of 3 shillings per week.
The rules of the club were a true reflection of the period 1889.
Fines of 2 shilling were levied for non attendance after agreeing to play. Defaulters were expelled.
Special practices were conducted Mondays and Thursdays with ordinary practice every evening.
Annual subscriptions were 5 shillings with a weekly sub of 2d and prices for a new bat were 12/6d and a re-blade was 1/6d.
In 1930 the ground rent was £5 and in 1934 the Greyhound Inn became the clubs official headquarters.
The first match was played against St Mary's CC with only ten men. A
hat trick was acquired by Mr Griffiths in this game. Indeed, the early
games were played in Netteswell pastures.
Up to 1939 matches were played on Wednesdays and Sundays but after this time it was once a week usually on a Sunday.
The parish of Netteswell was first mentioned in Norman records of 1203
and the name Burnt Mill was first recorded in 1580. In the census of
1891, Burnt Mill village had a population of 155 people.
club lends it's name to the now extinct village of Burnt Mill and
Netteswell Cross, where the players first used to meet when the club was
The club has survived a number of changes to the local area and is currently enjoying one of its most successful periods.
2017, the club expanded its membership to over 25 playing members and
during 2018 will be playing 25 friendly fixtures at its home ground of
Marigolds or away at some of the most attractive village grounds in
Essex and Hertfordshire.
Netteswell & Burnt Mill Cricket Club always welcomes new members of any age and standard.